Pipefitters lay out, fabricate, assemble, install, and maintain piping and piping systems, for steam, hot water, hearing, cooling, lubricating and industrial processing systems, on basis of knowledge of system operation and study of building plans or working drawings.
- Selects type and size of pipe and related materials according to job specifications.
- Plans sequence of installation to avoid obstructions and activities of other construction workers.
- Cuts pipe, using pipe cutters, cutting torch, and pipe cutting machine.
- Threads pipe, using threading machine.
- Assembles and installs variety of metal and nonmetal pipe and pipe fittings, including those made of brass, copper, and plastic.
- Joins piping by means of threaded, soldered, brazed, fused or cemented joints.
- Secure pipes to structure with clamps, brackets, and hangers, using hand tools.
- Test piping system for leaks by increasing pressure to pipes and observing gauges attached to pipes for indication of leaks.
- Must have a working knowledge of building and mechanical codes.
- Must have at least a minimum of four (4) years’ field experience.
- Must possess basic math skills, be able to read blueprints, and have a thorough knowledge of the mechanical code.
- Must be able to cut and thread pipe. Cut, fit and butt weld type and socket type joints.